Sunday 27 September 2015

New Paintings and Pet Portraits!

Today I'm going to share with you a few paintings I've done recently, and as something new and a little different, I'm going to write a little bit about my thoughts and processes behind them. You learn so much more when you self evaluate the things you create! 

This painting was done in my weekly art class. I had an initial photograph to work from as inspiration, which had a simple watercolour feel to it, but because my favourite medium is acrylic I tried to adapt it to a different style. My main focus was on replicating the muted but diverse collection of colours the original image used. I started off with watered down paint, but quickly found that it left a very grainy thin feel to the image, and so begun thickening it up. I added my own details, plenty of texture and tried to make it a little more interesting with drips and splatters. I am slowly learning that I don't have to stick to a reference image completely, and that I am allowed the freedom of putting whatever marks I want on paper, there are no restrictions! Nothing is right or wrong in art. Critically, I feel like the the three lines coming off the side could have been a much stronger white, to create a firm edge. However, I love the overall tone of this painting, and to me, this almost feels like an abstract seascape, with stormy clouds and rain, but a bright clear sun threatening to overtake the day from behind. 


This was an image I painted for a very special lady at the Turner Syndrome Support Society. I had such fun with this, I love the vibrant colours used, and the paint splattered effect is slowly turning into my favourite way of completing an image. Done a few months ago, this was one of my very first attempts at painting an animal, and I really love how unique it is, not adhering with the true colours of an animal, but still ending up with a creative and vibrant image that is true to the breed. The paintbrush I used gave me a very fluffy feel to the fur, but if I had wanted the dog to look a little more defined and less like a puppy, I could have used a thinner brush and made more defined lines. The white could also have been stronger, however overall I am so very pleased with the result. I am now also taking animal portrait commissions, so if you'd like a framed painting of your beloved pet in time for Christmas, let me know! I will definitely be doing lots more of these in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment