Sunday 16 August 2015

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes


Will Traynor lived a fast paced, intense life. That was, until he was left quadriplegic after being struck down by a motorbike. He lost everything, the use of his legs, his friends, his job and high reputation as a CEO, his independence, his girlfriend, and ultimately, his happiness.

Lou Clarke lived a quiet, safe life, under her parents roof with her grandad, sister and nephew, contentedly working at a cafe. That was, until, she got made redundant, and found herself in a new job as Will's carer.

Neither of them know quite how much they're going to change the others world. 

This book had me absolutely sobbing. Let me warn you, this book is not an easy, happy, romance novel. 

Will wants to end his own life, on his own terms, at Dignitas in Switzerland. Dignitas is a Swiss organisation that help people with terminal, severe physical and mental illnesses to die, assisted by qualified doctors and nurses. Assisted suicide is a controversial and incredibly personal topic, and as humans our instinct is to fix things and save people, but without knowing the full story, people are very quick to judge. He feels trapped and hopeless and he can't be the full man he wants to be. When you can't live the life you want, it can be absolutely torturous. Will lost his ability to move, and with it lost his dreams and passions, and a huge part of himself. 

"I'll tell you something I never tell anyone.

I get really scared of how this is going to go. [...] Nobody wants to hear that stuff. Nobody wants you to talk about being afraid, or in pain, or being scared of dying through some stupid random infection... 

[People] ultimately just want to look on the bright side. They need to believe there is a bright side."

Regardless of that theme, I promise that this isn't a depressing book. Will never comes across as being full of self pity. Told from Louisa's perspective, this is her story. Although the obvious focus is on her trying to show Will that he can still lead a fulfilling life, in the end Will is the one who teaches her to be free. She doesn't have to settle. She is allowed live a big life.

Sometimes the bravest thing you will ever do is put someone else's happiness before your own. And this book has two of the bravest characters I have ever read about. 

I have lots of days when I get frustrated with the restrictions my chronic illness give me, and I know everyone has felt like they've been dealt a bad hand in life at some point or another. But whilst reading this book, I was reminded of just how lucky I actually was. I am able to eat by myself. I am able to paint and read books. I can move my hands and feet independently. Little things you take for granted, other people are wishing for. Nobody likes to be told 'someone else has it worse off than you', but it makes you feel incredibly grateful for what you actually have. 

"You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible."

Have you read this, or are you planning to? What did you think? Leave me a comment down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment